Skip to content
Frontpage Applicants Who can apply

Who can apply for a Hoas apartment?

You can apply for a Hoas apartment, if

  • you are a full time student,
  • you are a degree student,
  • you are entitled to student financial aid AND
  • your school is in the capital area (Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa or Kauniainen)

The apartment offer cannot be accepted before school has started and you have enrolled for your studies. If you are just starting your studies and your term begins in January, you cannot accept an apartment in December. The summer months are an exception to this: if you are beginning your studies in the autumn, you can accept an apartment already in June.

Applicants who are of legal age must have an official identity document. Students from outside the capital area or the surrounding municipalities can apply for a Hoas apartment if they have to stay in the capital area or surrounding municipalities due to work experience or their research or thesis, related to their current studies. In such cases, they may only apply for an apartment for the duration of the work experience, research or thesis work. Post-graduate students are not prioritised for apartment offers.

Who has priority for being offered a Hoas apartment?

Construction of Hoas student housing is subsidised by the state. This is why Hoas apartments cannot be offered to just anyone; Hoas tenant selection is regulated by ARA, the Housing Finance and Development Centre of Finland. Hoas also has its own rules which affect the choice of tenants.

Priority will be given to applicants who are

  • homeless
  • of modest means and/or have a low income
  • otherwise in urgent need of an apartment
  • studying to complete a basic degree

At the beginning of terms, from August to October and from January to February, any apartments that become available (excluding studios) are offered to new students as a rule. Priority is given to applicants who come from outside of the capital area.

Apartments located in Helsinki are primarily given to those who study in Helsinki. When applying together with friends or family, at least one of the applicants must study in Helsinki. Find out more about setting the maximum rent and area requests.

Post-graduate students and those aiming to complete competence-based qualifications are not prioritised for apartment offers.

In addition to this, some properties have their own specific rules that are based on the ownership of the properties and the conditions of land leases.

Basic degree students

Basic degree students are those who:

  • study to pass upper secondary matriculation examinations
  • study for a basic qualification in a vocational school
  • study for a bachelor or master level degree in a university of applied sciences
  • study for a bachelor or master level degree in a university
  • study for a licenciate degree in the faculty of medicine, veterinary science or dentistry in a university

Post-graduate students

Post-graduate students are those who:

  • Study at the university for their licentiate or doctorate (with the exception of the faculties of medicine, veterinary science and dentistry). Post-graduate students must have a right to study and they must be attending students.

Hoas follows the campus principle when offering apartments

We strive to find our applicants a housing solution that supports their studies. The apartments are rented out according to the campus principle. The applicants are offered an apartment that is preferably near their school and/or close to public transport and in the city where the applicant is studying.

  • Hoas considers the transport connections good if a one-way trip to school on public transport takes a maximum of 45-50 minutes.

In the spring and summer, Hoas apartments are also available to other people besides students

Hoas has furnished apartments available for the spring term from January to May and unfurnished apartments for the summer months from April to August. Anyone who has a temporary job or studies in the capital area or surrounding municipalities can apply spring and summer apartments. At other times, only degree students can apply for Hoas apartments.

Underaged applicants

An underaged person can apply for a Hoas apartment as long as the person’s guardian consents to it. When you fill in your application, please enter your guardian’s details carefully in the space reserved for them.

Supervisor of interests

If the applicant has a supervisor of interests, he or she should provide Hoas with a copy of the court decision on supervision and a completed consent form from the supervisor.

There are no special conditions for signing a tenancy agreement with a person under supervision of interests, but a notification of the apartment offer and the tenancy agreement will also be sent to the supervisor.

Apply for housing