HSY distributes biowaste bags
Over 1 900 Hoas-apartments are included in the HSY biowaste bag distribution. Residents get free bags for sorting biowaste.
- What: There is one bundle (80 bags) of biowaste bags reserved for each apartment included in the distribution.
- Where: Residents can pick up their apartment’s bundle from the laundry room on their residential property.
- When: Starting from 15 November 2021
Biowaste should be packed into a biodegradable paper bag
The paper bag is the best option because it decomposes well in the biowaste treatment process. A normal plastic bag cannot be used in the Helsinki Metropolitan Area because it won’t decompose. You may, however, use bags made out of biodegradable plastic.
How to sort your biowaste
- Put for example, fruit and vegetable peels and all food scraps into biowaste. Make yourself familiar with the sorting instructions for biowaste: hsy.fi/en/waste-and-recycling/sorting/biowaste/
- Waste guide helps you with sorting problems: hsy.fi/en/wasteguide
- Let the waste mass cool and dry for a while before putting it into the bag. Pour liquids down the drain.
- Store the biowaste bag so that it’s well ventilated. Put an empty egg carton on the bottom of the bag to absorb moisture.
- Pack the biowaste in a bag and put it into the collection container for biowaste.
Give biowaste a new life. Thank you for sorting your waste!
Is your apartment included in the HSY biowaste bag distribution? Read more from this newsletter.